Syracuse University – Martin J. Whitman School of Management
Masters of Business Administration, Entrepreneurship/Entrepreneurial Studies
Southern Illinois University
B.A., Music History & Literature; Music Business
User Experience Lead – Emerson
June 2015 – Present
- Establish a User Experience practice within Emerson. Recruit, hire, manage, and develop user experience researchers, architects, interaction designers, and interface designers.
- Product design of both hardware and software for Sensi, a top-rated rated Wi-Fi Thermostat on Amazon.com and winner of the 2016 J.D. Power Smart Thermostat Satisfaction Report. Work included collaborative design studio sessions, holistic experience and service design, and software design for web, iOS, & Android platforms.
- Lead efforts to drive accessibility compliance across all of Emerson’s Residential Solutions digital products, as well as for the redesign of emerson.com, in compliance with WCAG 2.0 AA guidelines.
- Lead experience design efforts and partner with like teams at Amazon and Apple for product portfolio integration into Amazon Alexa and Apple HomeKit connected home platforms.
- Perform user research and experience design for Thermostat Wizard, an online, mobile-responsive website to assist homeowners with installation and scheduling of thermostats purchased from Amazon.com, Lowe’s, Home Depot, and Ace Hardware.
Design Lead – Monsanto
October 2013 – June 2015
- Establish an Interface Design practice for Monsanto’s Research & Development I.T. division with a focus on reducing the cycle time between ideation to commercialization.
- Manage a team of user interface designers and front-end developers for iOS and web applications.
- Creation and customer validation of Velocity, a user interface design system and pattern library for web and mobile applications, which led to reduced development time and consistency across channels.
- Created extensive journey maps for various customer profiles which led to a stronger understanding of customer needs and identified several latent needs for digital product improvements.
- Designed and assisted in the development of a big data marketplace. The effort included contextual inquiry, requirements gathering, wireframing, prototyping and creating production assets.
Sr. UX Designer – Asynchrony/World Wide Technology
December 2011 – January 2013
- Integrate with agile scrum teams for experience design of several web and mobile applications for Fortune 500 clients like Sotheby’s International Realty, Kaiser Permanente Healthcare, and Bridgewater and Associates.
- Supported internal, enterprise-grade mobile application suite with complete experience design treatment, including requirements gathering, ethnographic research, persona development, wireframes, prototypes, usability evaluations and production design assets.
- Experience and service design of an app store submission portal for the United States Army and United States Department of Defense (U.S. Army Marketplace).
User-Centered Designer – Sigma-Aldrich
June 2008 – December 2011
- Complete redesign of Sigma-Aldrich.com. Work included ethnographic research, journey mapping, persona development, wireframes, usability evaluations, and production design asset delivery.
- Continuous improvement through the agile design of chemical synthesis and life science eCommerce content and related online marketing vehicles with an average transactional volume of $2.1M USD/day.
- Agile experience design and customer validation for an user-centered custom product configurator application with top-line revenue impacts of $5.2M USD/year.
Saint Louis Design Week – October 3, 2016
Ten Crack Commandments of Enterprise UX is a humorous look at what would happen if Christopher Wallace, a/k/a Biggie Smalls, took an alternate career path as a user experience professional at a large company.View on Slideshare
Tech on Tap – June 14, 2017
Designing IoT details the trials and tribulations of designing connected products in a highly-competitive industry. The talk covers the UCD process, as well as the types of reserach conducted, to bring the Sensi Touch thermostat to market.View Talk
STLX Conference – September 25, 2017
Designing Connected Products Customers Love is the natural evolution of Designing IoT, with a deeper, more focused look at how our our design process played nice with our company’s new product development process in the launch of two new connected thermostats.Buy tickets