Syracuse University – Martin J. Whitman School of Management
Masters of Business Administration, Entrepreneurship/Entrepreneurial Studies
Beta Gamma Sigma, Graduate Award for Entrepreneurship Excellence
Southern Illinois University
B.A., Music History & Literature; Music Business
Senior Consultant, User Experience – Mastercard
April 2019 – Present
- Co-create and inspect the research, user flows, wireframes, designs, journey maps, and execution metrics to assess risks and prioritize work based on customer and business impact.
- Evolve Mastercard’s design thinking to solve business, product and user problems.
- Provide thought leadership for the organization while mentoring peers on the User Experience team and across teams and functions in best-practice User Experience approaches.
- Showcase the team’s work to customers in Mastercard’s tech hubs in Sydney, Pune, New York, and St. Louis.
- Partner with senior product decision makers to align UX vision and strategy across the company.
- Define the structures and operating mechanisms to build and run the organization while shifting to a data-driven and continuous learning culture across the user experience team.
- Foster career development and growth paths for design and research leaders while sourcing, attracting and hiring in the best talent.
Director of Digital Operations – Emerson
October 2018 – April 2019
- Lead the implementation of the emerson.com website and e-site roadmaps for enhancements, new capabilities and global rollout across business units.
- Provide strategic vision and thought leadership in key areas such as digital technologies, digital channels (web, mobile, social, eCommerce, etc.) and emerging digital technologies.
- Partner with business owners to shape the roadmap based on user insights, customer needs, and business priorities. Defines, prioritizes, and maintains the website and digital enhancement roadmap ensuring alignment to the digital strategy, business needs, and business priorities.
- Work with Business Units and Platform Marketing to clearly define customer experience, business requirements, and user requirements.
- Work with Corporate and Platform IT to ensure that marketing and business needs are met, and are the drivers of technology solutions, workflows, and SLAs.
- Maintain knowledge of digital technologies and their application, and identifies ways digital can drive competitive advantage, unlock customer value or serve long-term business needs.
- Identify solutions at the forefront of technology within the ever-changing digital landscape and maintains a strong understanding of the organization’s technology products and technical architecture.
User Experience Lead – Emerson
June 2015 – October 2018
- Establish a User Experience practice within Emerson’s Residential Retail division of Commercial and Residential Solutions. Drive experience design culture and best practices throughout product management, marketing, and new product development.
- Product design contributions of both hardware and software for Sensi, a top-rated rated Wi-Fi Thermostat on Amazon.com and winner of the 2016 J.D. Power Smart Thermostat Satisfaction Report. Work included collaborative design studio sessions, holistic experience, and service design, and reusable software design pattern library for web, iOS, & Android platforms.
- Lead experience design efforts and partner with like teams at Amazon, Google, and Apple for product portfolio integration into Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, and Apple HomeKit connected home platforms.
Design Lead – Monsanto
October 2013 – June 2015
- Establish a User Experience and Interface Design practice for Monsanto’s Research & Development I.T. division with a focus on reducing the cycle time between ideation of new products to commercialization.
- Creation and customer validation of Velocity, a user interface design system and UX pattern library for web and mobile applications, which led to reduced development cycle time and consistency across multiple channels. Data-driven decisions ascertained from qualitative and quantitative research.
- Created extensive journey and ecosystem maps for various customer profiles which led to a stronger understanding of customer needs and identified several latent needs for digital product improvements.
Sr. UX Designer – Asynchrony/World Wide Technology
December 2011 – January 2013
- Integrate with agile scrum teams for experience design of several web and mobile applications for Fortune 500 clients like Sotheby’s International Realty, Kaiser Permanente Healthcare, and Bridgewater and Associates.
- Supported custom, enterprise-grade mobile application suite with complete experience design treatment, including requirements gathering, ethnographic research, persona development, wireframes, prototypes, usability evaluations and journey maps.
- Experience and service design of an app store submission portal for the United States Army and United States Department of Defense (U.S. Army Marketplace).
User-Centered Designer – Sigma-Aldrich
June 2008 – December 2011
- Redesign of Sigma-Aldrich.com. Work included ethnographic research, journey mapping, persona development, wireframes, usability evaluations, and co-located development coordination with offshore teams in Pune and Bangalore, India.
- Continuous improvement through the agile design of chemical synthesis and life science eCommerce content and related online marketing vehicles with an average transactional volume of $2.1M USD/day.
- Agile experience design and customer validation for an user-centered custom product configurator application with top-line revenue impacts of $5.2M USD/year.
Bright & Early – August 3, 2018
There is an inherent cost to bad design that cannot be assigned an actual monetary value. In this talk, Stephen will introduce three scenarios where bad design decisions led to the loss of life, mass panic, and a metric crap-ton of your tax dollars— all problems that could have been easily solved by asking a simple question: “How might we?”
STLX Conference – September 25, 2017
Designing Connected Products Customers Love is the natural evolution of Designing IoT, with a deeper, more focused look at how our design process played nice with our company’s new product development process in the launch of two new connected thermostats.